From a San Francisco newspaper - a particularly shitty day for this poor bugger:
Fire authorities in California found a corpse in a burnt-out section of forest while assessing the damage done by a forest fire.
The deceased male was dressed in a full wetsuit, complete with a dive tank, flippers, and facemask.
A postmortem examination revealed that the person died not from burns but from massive internal injuries.
Dental records provided a positive identification.
Investigators then set about determining how a fully clad diver ended up in the middle of a forest fire.
It was revealed that, on the day of the fire, the person went for a diving trip off the coast some 35 km away from the forest.
The firefighters called in a fleet of helicopters with very large buckets. The buckets were dropped into the ocean for rapid filling, then flown to the forest fire and emptied.
You guessed it. One minute our diver was making like Flipper in the Pacific, the next thing he was doing a breaststroke in a fire bucket 100 m in the air.
Apparently, he extinguished exactly 1.78 m of the fire.
From a Florida newspaper:
A man was working on his motorcycle on his patio and his wife was in the house in the kitchen.
The man was racing the engine on the motorcycle and, somehow, the bike slipped into gear.
The man, still holding the handlebars, was dragged through a glass patio door and along with the motorcycle dumped onto the floor inside the house.
The wife, hearing the crash, ran into the dining room, and found her husband lying on the floor, cut and bleeding, the motorcycle lying next to him and the patio door shattered.
The wife ran to the phone and summoned an ambulance.
Because they lived on a fairly large hill, the wife went down the several flights of long steps to the street to direct the paramedics to her husband.
After the ambulance arrived and transported the husband to the hospital, the wife pushed the motorcycle outside.
Seeing that gas had spilled on the floor, the wife obtained some papers towels, blotted up the petrol, and threw the towels in the toilet.
The husband was treated at the hospital and was released to come home.
After arriving home, he looked at the shattered patio door and the damage done to his motorcycle. He became despondent, went into the bathroom, sat on the toilet and smoked a cigarette.
After finishing the cigarette, he flipped it between his legs into the toilet bowl while still seated.
The wife, who was in the kitchen, heard a loud explosion and her husband screaming. She ran into the bathroom and found her husband lying on the floor.
His trousers had been blown away and he had burns to the buttocks, the back of his legs and his groin. The wife again ran to the phone and called for an ambulance.
The same ambulance crew was dispatched and the wife met them at the street.
The paramedics loaded the husband on the stretcher and began carrying him to the street. While they were going down the stairs to the street accompanied by the wife, one of the paramedics asked the wife how the husband had burned himself.
She told them and the paramedics started laughing so hard, one of them tipped the stretcher and dumped the husband out. He fell down the remaining steps and broke his arm.
Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.